Thursday 14 July 2016

St. John's NL (June 27th 2016)

It seems fitting that the first stop on the Loose from the Goose World Tour would be a brief stopover in  St. John's. I cannot remember ever not having a peculiar bond with this place.

For some reason it has always held a special place in my heart. Despite the rain, the drizzle and the fog the oldest and most easterly city in North America is a place that is most certainly full of character and charm.  It is also my birth place and my beloved home during two stints at Memorial University.

I digress....

 Our main objective during this quick visit was a hike around the Battery and trails of Signal Hill and Quidi Vidi. It had been six years since we did this hike past the brighty coloured houses that cling to the cliffs and the climb up to Cabot Tower. After completing our mission a pint on George Street was definitely in order where the music of Arthur O Brian and Fred Jorgenson set the soundtrack to a great day in town.

 As we walked back to our room on Gower Street and I gazed out to sea the words of Ron Hynes went through my head, " Oh the harbour lights are gleaming. And the evenings still and dark. And the seagulls are all dreaming... Seagull dreams on Amherst Rock." 

No comments:

Post a Comment